Looking for a gym

Kathy B.
on 11/21/09 10:41 am
I have not joined a gym since surgery.  Is there anything special I should look for in making a decision?  Equipment, programs, trainers, etc.?  I have some back problems and have had water exercise mentioned to me in the past.  I have no idea what I really need at this point other than to get my self moving more.  Thanks for your suggestions.

Kathy

Seht
on 11/21/09 1:09 pm
The Y is a pretty good source, because you will usually find a pool and aquatics programs there.

Watch out for the club trying to upsell you on things like personal trainers etc.  I haven't found one yet that was worth a damn.  They all give the same generic workout to all of their clients.  It's basically a couple sessions of how to work the machines etc.  Most gyms will include a couple of these when you sign up.  No need to sing up for any more.   If you want a personal trainer ask around and find one that can give you a personalized workout.  Preferably one that knows your restrictions physically and nutritionally.

Convenience is a big factor.  You don't wan your gym to be so far out of your way that you don't go.
Also you want to go visit the gym during the hours that you would be attending.  See how busy it is.  Make sure that the place isn't so busy that you have to stand around waiting for your turn on any of the equipment.  Early morning right before work and in the evening right after most people get off work are generally the busy times. 

Really any exercise or gym THAT YOU WILL GO TO AND STICK WITH, is the choice to make.  I have friends who are paying their monthly fees, and the only time they go is when I pester them to go with me.  Other than that, they are just giving away their money.  I wish I could just convince them to give it to me instead of the gym.  I could give them the same value they are getting

Good luck on finding a gym that work for you.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Katari
on 11/21/09 1:39 pm - OR
I think Scott nailed it. Any gym that you feel comfortable and will continue going to is the biggest factor. Anything from the Y, or your local aquatics center, the women's only gym, or whatever can work for you, but only if you go. Some gyms offer a short term/ pay by the month type of membership, you could try it for a month and if you decide it's not for you no harm done, your not stuck in a year long membership "special" that you'll never use because you are uncomfortable going.

I know our local aquatic center has a small workout room with weights and a treadmill and offers classes for people wanting to check out the water exercise programs.  You might call your local swim center and see if they have anything to offer. Check out your parks and recreation centers as well, They often have short term programs so you can test the water so to say.

Good for you wanting to get out and get some exercise. You might ask your Dr. what they would suggest exercise wise since you do have some back problems. Good luck!

Katie
Katie 
Ht. 5'2  HW 234/GW 150/LW 128/CW 132 
Size 18/20 to a size 4 in 9 months!

kam012069
on 12/2/09 2:50 am
I agree too.  The YMCA at least where I live in Arizona has a great gym and a pool.  You can take classes and use the pool for opening swimming and lap swimming.  Personally, I've used the pool a lot with my family, but not the gym.  My Y also offers child care.  Hope that helps :)
Sport Science Lab - http://www.sportsciencelab.com" 
title="Sports Performance Training">Sports Performance Training
Most Active